Sunday, May 30, 2010

Exciting Week Ahead

Opening Day 2009 Goodies

THE Cobbler
Lots to look forward to this week.
1. Tennis Lessons -- Millie will start on Tuesday. So excited!
2. Summer Reading Club Kickoff -- Millie and Abe have been members each year since they were born. Millie signed up for her library card at birth and started attending story time at 4 months. Brother started attending earlier as a tag-a-long to his big sister's toddler time. Needless to say, they love the library. I have volunteered to help with registration while Daddy will supervise them at the luau kickoff. We're getting our costumes ready and can't wait. Dr. Spaghetti and staff have worked really hard to make this summer's reading club better than ever.
Can't wait to see what the kiddos read this summer. We really like to bring our stories to life with costumes and props, food and crafts. I've thought about starting them a little book club. Wouldn't that be fun??? Each child reads the same book at home and then we come together for a playdate centered around the story. We'll see what we can cook up.
3. Farmers' Market Opening -- I heart fresh veggies. Last year, I was so excited, I brought a new sundress just for the opening, woke up bright and early and shopped till my heart's desire. Some of the items I picked up were the jalepeno cheese bread, jelly, blueberries, blackberries, squash, honey. My. Mouth. Is. Watering. I made my first cobbler from a Williams-Sonoma recipe -- mixed berry. So yummy. Hope that with a little tinkering of the recipe, I can make something Millie Bug can eat. This year, the managers of the market promise an even bigger and better shopping experience, so I'm counting down the minutes.
Inspired by a community garden I've seen recently, I've really wanted to plant my own garden in the back yard. I know absolutely nothing about gardening. Ha. But you've got to start somewhere. I'm pretty sure we have too many squirrels and other critters to be a successful gardener, but the library has this cute kid-friendly container gardening book I may pick up. Maybe I should start small and work my way up.
4. Beach Vacation in a Few -- Already started packing!!!

2 comments:

Sweet P Preston said...

Your book club idea sounds adorable. We just got back from my parents house. My Dad always has a garden. We came home with fresh dug potatoes, onions and yellow squash. I cannot wait to cook them!! Minden, even has a Farmer's Market every Saturday at The Farm. Take care. So jealous of your beach vacay!

Cori said...

Yum, yum! I love grilled onions and squash!!! You'll have to tell me how you fix them.
Love the farmer's market. Have you checked out Britney Smith's blog? She recently did a shoot at Marvin's Gardens that we plan on replicating with the kids. I can't wait, and I can so see Sweet P hamming it up in that setting!!
Promised Millie the beach vacation. Just hope they get that darn oil spill under control!
We hate we missed Carson's party. Eric had to work, and I was afraid of making the trip alone with Millie's situation. Hopefully, I'll get better on my own. Hope it was a great party!