Sunday, March 6, 2011

Easy, Cheesy

Lucky me! On my day to volunteer at Millie's preschool I was copying some little leprechauns, when lo and behold one of the teachers walked in with the "recipe of the week" -- broccolli soup. On that particular day, it didn't sound so appealing because, well, it was HOT. Turns out, Mother Nature was only teasing us with warm weather. Today was a bit chilly. So thankfully, I had asked for the copy of the recipe. I think the note at the top of the recipe sealed the deal: "You can't 'goof' up this recipe!"
And I didn't!
Here it is:
Broccoli Cheese Soup
1 stick of butter
1 onion, chopped
1 cup of chicken broth (I used 99% fat free, no added MSG)
1/4 lb. Velveeta cheese (2%)
1 jar jalapeno Cheez Whiz (could not find jalapeno; so sad)
3 cans cream of mushroom soup (used the fat free)
1 cup of milk (2%; next time I'll try with our regular skim)
1 large bag of frozen chopped broccoli (steam in a bag, baby!)
Cook broccoli according to package directions. Saute onions in butter. Add broth and cheese and heat until blended. Add soup, milk and cooked broccoli. Simmer.

It made a pretty big pot. Next time, I might try olive oil instead of butter. But then again, it might be the butter that really sends this over the edge. The soup was so yummy! I boiled some boneless, skinless chicken breasts and cut them up and then poured the soup over it. I didn't do so well at counting the carb as I made, but there is some. Now I know what you're thinking -- Velveeta and Cheez Whiz -- this thing has to taste like plastic. But no, sir, it does not! Try it. Tastes good alone, will taste good over some brown rice, which may be a side to some turkey meatloaf tomorrow night.
Talk about the right place at the right time! Lucky little leprechauns!

No comments: