Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Hair Pretties


Trying to get creative with the "'dos"



Having a daughter with long, curly hair is a brave and selfish thing to do as a mother. It's a fulfillment of many a dream I had while carrying my Millie Bug. You know the ones in which you imagine what your child will look like. And the daughter in my dream was barefoot, in a muslin white bishop, with dark brown, curly hair streaming halfway down her body, a large white bow and chocolate almond-shaped eyes to melt her Daddy's heart.
What was omitted from the dreams were the tangles, the cries, the difficulty of finding strong enough headbands that don't cause headaches, and the time it takes to wash, comb and dry those locks. I'm not near as adept at ponytails, parts and braids as my mom was with me. But I try.
I've recently attempted my hand at some hair pretties. Somehow I put together a silk hydrangea headpiece for a recent photo shoot -- flower hanging by a thread (figuratively) to a ribbon headband. I made Millie two sunflower clippies for her coronation as Sun Flower, Indian princess, for her Thanksgiving feast at school.



"Feast" your eyes one these!


And just before the Christmas holidays, I conquered my first hair bow. It wasn't pretty ... the process, not the bow. I mean it took me two hours, and just when I was about to cry and throw away the ribbon in frustration, it happened ... the bow. Don't know how. Don't know why. It just came to be. And I was proud. I hot-glued the clip to it and singed the ends and everything.
Hot Dog!


And ooh-la-la!

2 comments:

TheFancyFritter said...

Awe! It looks great!! I'm horrible with ribbon so I would probably be crying too! LOL :)

Jessica said...

Cute bow! And labor of love that it may be to keep Millie Bug's hair so long, it is B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L so no scissors, ok? :) I love those sweet curls and I LoVE that sweet girl!